Thursday, July 10, 2008

Born on the 4th of July

Michael was born on the 4th. He likes to tell me that his birthday is SO special that they have fireworks to celebrate "his" big day. His parents and little brother, Jeremi, decided to take a trip down to see the new house and help us celebrate. They got here on Friday night and we grilled out and had birthday cake. We then went up to the top of the parking deck at the school of public health (where I work) to watch Birmingham’s fireworks display. If we could have chopped a tree or two down, it would have been a PERFECT view.

After the fireworks extravaganza, we went back to the house and sat around a fire. Michael LOVES to see things burn…candles, fireplace, fire pit…it doesn’t matter. My mom gave him a fire pit for his birthday and we have already used it twice…and it is JULY. I can’t even imagine how much we are going to use it once things get a little cooler. The fire must have hypnotized me because Jeremi and I made plans of doing the Soulja Boy dance together for Michael’s family at Christmas this year. I am a terrible dancer, so the sooner I start practicing the better.

On Saturday we all went to the Vulcan. Jeremi had never been before, so I think he was entertained.


After visiting the god of the forge, I decided I was in the mood for some homemade bread. A little background may be necessary, I think homemade bread is so delicious. I think it makes it seemed like you “worked hard” on even the simplest meal (for example, sandwiches). I have tried multiple times to make homemade bread in a bread machine. Every time I get my hopes up and every time they are dashed. People who use a bread machine say “it’s not hard” which makes me feel like a moron because I CAN’T GET IT TO WORK. I mentioned my bread making woes to Vicki, Michael's mom, and since she is a bread making expert she agreed to give me a tutorial. Thanks to her expertise, the bread turned out pretty good. Homemade bread is best just out of the bread machine (I think). By the time we got around to eating this batch, it had cooled down, but it was definitely my best attempt to date. After dinner, we decided to go with Jeremi to see The Forbidden Kingdom at the dollar theater. I was moderately entertained, BUT I am not sure I would be excited about having to watch it a second time. My less than enthusiastic recommendation should be taken with a grain of salt-The Forbidden Kingdom is a martial arts flick and that is DEFINITELY not my favorite genre. Every time I go to the dollar theater I am struck by how hilariously ghetto it is (Martina, don’t you and Camron love going? Do you think it is ghetto?). I guess it’s true that you get what you pay for. Seems like the boys felt like they got their moneys worth.

Sunday Michael’s fam headed home. Happy belated birthday, America and Hubby!

4 comments:

The Penter Family said...

Yes! It is totally ghetto. But that is what you get for a dollar :) Save yourself $16 and see the movie in the ghetto or spend $18 to see it at a "real" theatre. We are cheapies! I'm still waiting for the day when we get shot walking out of that place :)

The Cosby's said...

$1 theater?! Why haven't I heard about this before now? Glad Michael had a good birthday. Love the new house! And with the fire pit, sidewalk candles, and candlelier, you have no worries. I am in love with the candlelier!

Jamie Grizzle said...

Looks like you had a great weekend! I have to admit, we took Martina's advice and went to the dollar theatre. She is right, you get what you pay for!

khovater said...

How is it that I didn't know this existed?????? We don't even talk anymore...